Thursday, August 31, 2006

At The End Of My Rope

It has recently come to my attention that I don't write so very good. I obviously cannot make a point and it has become painfully clear that my writings are nothing but rambling, ambiguous trash. Please don't be in too big a hurry to agree!

I actually get feedback from time to time, just like the real writers, and honestly, I do appreciate it. I usually don't understand it, but I appreciate it.

Most of the responses I receive are from folks who don't agree with anything I have to say, and that's all right. I'm a big boy and I can handle it. If you're going to dish it out, then be a big enough person to accept that not everyone out there hangs on your every word. I sometimes think they would prefer to hang me instead, but that's a whole different story.

I recently wrote an article about the split and impending demise of the Episcopal Church. It was a personal lament for me because an institution I dearly love is going into the dumper. It hurts me deeply.

I received a reply vilifying me for hating 'same sex marriage', which was never mentioned in the entire piece. I received another reply that was so unintelligible I could not decipher where the person was coming from. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything, and was laced with filth. I do know, however, I obviously struck a nerve.

My 'Rant' about Bill Clinton's history of indiscretions was strictly 'tongue in cheek'. I used global warming as the vehicle for the piece to poke a little fun at wild Bill. I got responses all over the place about global warming, but not a single word about Mr. Clinton, good or bad.

I could go on and on, but I think this paints a pretty accurate picture. No, it probably doesn't, but I have yet to receive a rebuttal from anyone who questioned the actual subject at hand. That would be refreshing if it ever happened, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Could it be that I'm just a lousy writer, or is it possible that those who disagree with me just aren't willing or able to grasp the whole picture? They seem to pull one tiny little snippet of information out of an entire article, then take off on a tangent with it until it no longer reflects my original thought process in any way, shape or form.

I make no claim to being an authority. I certainly am not. I have my opinions and I simply share them with others, and they are free to agree or disagree. This is all about dialogue, nothing more.

So, if you decide to 'hang me' for my opinions, that's all well and good. Just try to keep your responses 'on message' for a change. I'm at the end of my rope!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go Back Prev Next Reply Reply All Forward Delete Move To Draft


Back to Top

No comments: