Monday, August 14, 2006

Humpty Dumpty Sat On A Wall

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the King's horses and all the King's men.......
Yeah, yeah, yeah.....we know! He's now just a shell of his former self!

Kinda' reminds me of the Episcopal Church in a way. The folks on the left (revisionists) have built a wall, the fall is happening as we speak, and the church is just a shell of its former self. And, ain't nobody gonna put it back together again! A real shame!

I became an Episcopalian several years ago. The Episcopal Church, for the record, is a very small part of the world wide Anglican Communion (70,000,000 strong). It was a 'spin-off' from the Church of England during the Revolutionary War and, after everybody kissed and made up, it has been 'in communion' with the Church of England since. I fell totally in love with the liturgy, the history, the attention to ancient customs (the smells and bells), but mostly the theology because it was totally true to Holy Scripture. No hocus pocus stuff here (sadly, there is now)! And, of course, my British heritage was all over it! So, it is breaking my heart to watch the heretics undo hundreds of years steeped in beautiful Holy tradition. But it's happening.

An acquaintance, knowing very well how I feel, asked me recently how I was dealing with the 'gay' issue in our church. Sadly, this is the perception most people have about what is happening in most main-line religions today. So, for the umpteenth time, I did my best to explain that we do not have a 'gay' issue, that this is simply the label the liberal press has chosen because it suits their agenda quite well, and that we are all sinners, and that those who do not repent of their sins will not enter the Kingdom of God. It is that simple. Sinners are sinners. The label doesn't matter, repentance does.

We are a church that is saddled with two Gospels, the Truth of the inspired Word of God (which seems to have served us well for over 2000 years), and now, the new 'revisionist' translation. With this, the revisionists (a polite word for heretics) have built a wall the Episcopal Church can no longer straddle, and like Humpty Dumpty, it will soon fall. And, all the King's horses and all the King's men.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When did revisionist ( a well respectic academic word ) become a polite word for heretic?

Anonymous said...

Since reading this, I asked 10 people (I suppose if I had the time I could ask more people) what the "liberal press agenda" was. Nobody knew!

Anonymous said...

If you really think there is no "gay issue" in your church, you best look again.