Monday, June 18, 2007

It's A Wonderful Life !!!

It's a wonderful life! Sounds like a title for a great movie, doesn't it? Everything is just peachy, there isn't a single serious problem on the entire planet. AND, if we are lucky, Rosie O'Donnell will be the new host of the 'Price is Right'! Wow! I personally think 'Roller Derby' would be a better fit (if you're old enough to remember). AND, she wouldn't even need skates. Her personna is a perfect match.

I was a teenager during the 1950's. The age of innocence. The 'Fonz', 'Happy Days', Bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis, Doug and Larry. Life was good! We were in between wars, the country was busy building a new peace time economy, there were no gangs, no drugs. People sat on their FRONT PORCHES instead of hiding out on their patio behind a seven-foot privacy fence in the back yard. We didn't need a Neighborhood Watch because neighbors actually 'watched the neighborhood' back then.

Then it all changed. Enter the 1960's. Drugs, campus riots, political unrest, Mom folded up her apron, put it in the kitchen drawer, got a job and went to work just to make ends meet, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Now our wonderful life is gone. Today we have terrorism, a government that has grown so incredibly huge it is sucking our economy dry, immigration woes so monumental no one knows what to do, divorce, empty churches, schools that no longer teach (there are exceptions), and a society that is being dictated to by a scant, but vocal, minority. Our news media has gone off the deep end.

We have serious, serious problems out there. I don't pretend to have the answers, but I do know that if we want our children and their children to ever experience the 'wonderful life', something drastic must be done. Now!

And it has nothing to do with Rosie doing 'The Price is Right', or Paris getting her spoiled butt out of jail, or Al Gore's book sales. We need to get involved with the way our country is being run. Maybe it's time we started sitting on the front porch again!

1 comment:

Larry Whinnery said...

You are quite right about the "front porch". A number of sociologist have written about the same phenomenon. I would also add "sidewalks". If people want to walk their neighborhoods, they have to do so right on the street. I don't think our wonderful life is totally gone - but, it sure has been diminished in many ways. I guess I'm still trying to hang on to the positive, & I honestly believe a return to the front porch & sidewalks would go a long way towards helping to solve many of our social problems.
I'm not in favor of "drastic" action, but you're right - something (actually, many things) needs to be done.
Note, as abrasive as she is, Rosie has done a great deal of good trying to help people who are in need. We need to remember this: as negative as she gets (and she does - too much), I think she would agree with the well taken point about front porches.
Actually, I don't think Rosie needed to be brought into your rant. I don't think there is much of a connection between her & the problems with our "Wonderful Life" - that said, let me express my opinion that, although I have not enjoyed much of her show business activity (except "A League Of Their Own") I think that overall she has been much more a part of the solution than she has been part of the problem - and she does it very quietly.